A&M-Texarkana's Academic Advising Mission Statement:
Academic advising assists with the advisement of all undergraduate students at Texas A&M University-Texarkana. Our professional academic advisors assist undergraduate students with adjustment to college life, monitor student’s academic progress as needed, and assist students with course selection and scheduling. In addition to face-to-face sessions, Academic Advisors are available by email, phone, or video conferencing to accommodate the distance learning population. Academic advising shares the responsibility of undergraduate advising with faculty advisors on campus to ensure a holistic advising experience for all students.
- Fosters an environment based on mutual responsibility between student and advisor
- Services as a developmental process
- Discusses and clarifies educational and career goals
- Advises on the selection of appropriate courses towards degree completion
- Evaluates and monitors student academic progress
- Is based on theories and knowledge of teaching, learning, and identity development
- Reinforces student self-direction and self-sufficiency
- Assist students in understanding university policies and procedures and campus resources to ensure their success at A&M-Texarkana and in so doing, connecting to the university.
- Formulate a plan to select appropriate courses each semester using the selected degree plan for students' intended major.
- Guide students toward self-sufficiency by teaching them to schedule time to meet with the advisor, prepare for their individual advising appointment, and select their courses for each semester.