Academic Advising Center
The Advising Center oversees the advisement of all students with less than 30 SCH and first-year students. Our academic advisors assist students with adjustment to college life, monitor student’s academic progress as needed, and assist students with course selection and scheduling. When a student has earned 30 SCH, and completed their first year, and completed developmental coursework, the student will transition to the college of their major for academic advising and continued mentorship in their chosen major and career field.
- Assist students in understanding university policies and procedures and campus resources to ensure success at A&M-Texarkana and in so doing, connecting to the university.
- Formulate a plan to select appropriate courses each semester using the selected degree plan for students' intended major.
- Guide students toward self-sufficiency by teaching them to schedule time to meet with the advisor, prepare for their individual advising appointment, and select their courses for each semester.
You can expect your advisor to:
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and support students as they gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans.
- Provide students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus: Success Center, Testing Center, Library etc.
- Assist students in understanding the purposes and goals of higher education and its effects on their lives and personal goals.
- Monitor and accurately document students’ progress toward meeting their goals.
- Be accessible for meeting with students via office hours for advising, telephone, e-mail, or web access.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist students in working closely with their professors by asking them to make an appointment with the professor and discuss how they are doing in their classroom academically.
Effective academic advising of students is an essential aspect of the educational experience at A&M University-Texarkana. The advising process is designed to assist you in making responsible academic and career choices, set and fulfill their educational goals, grow intellectually, emotionally and spiritually, and increase their critical thinking and decision-making skills.
Our Academic Advisors encourage you to drop by the Success Center, Rm 330 if you need assistance. You can also call or email for an appointment.
Ms. Marlena Ballard
Office: 330N University Ctr
Ms. Brittany Carr
Office: 330S University Ctr
Ms. Venus Lillis
Office: 330Q University Ctr