Special Meeting .
January 31, 2006
Called to Order: 2:00 pm
Adjourned 2:35 pm
Members present: Peter Racheotes Chair;
Shirley Garick, Gaynell Green, William Laird, Bob Owen
Absent: Joan Brumm
2. Meeting called to order by Dr. Racheotes.
3. Dr. Racheotes explained to the voting members present that the meeting was for the purpose of discussing the scope and mission of the Curriculum Committee’s responsibilities and requirements in the months ahead. He then opened the floor to the members for their input.
4. Members reviewed and discussed the committee’s requirements.
5. All members in attendance agreed that proposed courses with the “general topics” title under 497 course numbers are not required to be brought before the committee until the course has been offered a third time and then it would need to be added to the course inventory.
6. After a discussion of all the membership, it was decided that the Chair should bring to the VPAA the following: 497 and 597 topic and items that should not belong in the curriculum committee. The committee feels that the following items do not fall under Curriculum Committee’s responsibility: Admission Requirements, Graduate Requirements, Awarding of Credit & Quality.
7. A discussion was also held concerning Course Description, Course Objectives & Course Justifications. Faculty submitting items to the committee should make sure their descriptions are clear & precise, the course objectives should use terms that are measurable, and course justification examples should be posted with forms available to faculty that use terminology that is understandable. The committee would like the VPAA to review the requirements and means of evaluation. A more streamlined approach would ensure consistency with the coordinating board as well as ensure the credibility of the university.
8. Dr. Owen agreed to provide the members with terminology that would better serve the committee’s requirements when submitting syllabi and course justifications.
9. Next meeting will be Tuesday, February 14, 2006, 2-4 pm, Room 375.
10. Meeting adjournment at 2:34 p.m.Respectfully Submitted,