Curriculum Committee Minutes
May 1, 2003
Members: C. McAllister, Chair, D. Allard, J. Hamilton, J. Hargus, B. Owen, G. Parangimalil
1. Motion by J. Hargus, second by D. Allard approval of minutes. Motion passed.
18a. New Business was handled at this time with the welcoming of new members Dr. Robert Owen who replaces Dr. Don Abbott, Dr. John Hamilton who replaces Dr. Jauquita Hargus.
D. Allard nominated Dr. George Parangimalil as the new chair of this committee, second by J. Hargus. Motion passed. Motion by J. Hargus to cease nominations, second by D. Allard. Motion passed. Motion by J. Hargus that G. Parangimalil become the new chairperson of the Curriculum Committee, second by B. Owen. Motion passed.
b. J. Johnson initiated dialogue regarding Faculty Senate and Graduate Council. This issue will be discussed further in the Faculty Senate meeting.
2. Graduate students may transfer no more than 12 semester credit hours of graduate level course work from another accredited institution and have those credits applied toward a master’s degree at Texas A&M University-Texarkana. Only courses in which the student earns a grade of “C” or better will be accepted for transfer. As per J. Johnson, a grade of “B” was changed to a grade of “C” because this institution gives and accepts a grade of “C” in our graduate program.
Motion by D. Allard, second by J. Hargus to accept this change in transfer credit hours. Motion passed.
3. Motion by J. Hargus, second by G. Parangimalil to accept P. Ryan’s request for a new course, ENG 580: The Arthurian Tradition in Literature. Motion passed.
4. Motion by D. Allard, second by G. Parangimalil to change PSY 497 to PSY 440, Psychology of Addiction. Motion passed.
5. Motion by D. Allard, second by J. Hargus to change the title of PSY 426 to “Introduction to Clinical & Counseling Psychology. Motion passed.
6. Motion by G. Parangimalil to accept the change in “core” Gen Ed. requirements for BS degree which is to change from Eng 333, Psy 320 to Eng 340, and 3 SH from COMM 350 or IS 495.
D. Allard motioned to pass this requirement contingent on increasing the semester hours from 6 to 9 SH, second by G. Parangimalil. Motion passed.
7. Motion by G. Parangimalil, second by R. Owen to change MKT 416-International Marketing to web-based. Motion passed.
8. Motion by G. Parangimalil, second by R. Owen to change MKT 540-International Business to web-based. Motion passed.
9. Motion by D. Allard, second by J. Hamilton to add GBUS 450-Business Ethics, to the business core. Motion passed.
10. Motion by G. Parangimalil, second by R. Owen to change ACCT 425-Cost Accounting, to web-based. Motion passed.
11. Motion by D. Allard, second by G. Parangimalil to add MATH 597-Multivariate Statistical Techniques to provide a set of various math topics for graduate students becoming advanced math teachers in high school and/or community college. Motion passed contingent if this course is not already on the books.
12. Motion by D. Allard, second by G. Parangimalil to add JOUR 312-Photojournalism, to the Mass Communication course lineup. Motion passed.
13. Motion by G. Parangimalil, second by J. Hargus to change CJ 497-Special Topics in Criminal Justice to web-based. Motion passed.
14. This item, CJ/SOC 380-Cultural and Ethnic Minorities, was removed from the agenda.
15. Motion by G. Parangimalil, second by D. Allard to approve the new graduate program-MSIS with concentration in Criminal Justice. Motion passed contingent on approval of 4 courses (CJ 510-Ethics in Criminal Justice; 521-Seminar in Policing; 547-Seminar in Corrections; 570-Seminar in Justice Administration) and contingent on research criteria.
16. Motion by J. Hamilton, second by G. Parangimalil to approve the new graduate ITED program (ITED 501-Instructional Technology Foundations, Systems & Theories (web-based); 503-Instructional Delivery for Diverse Learners; 511-Teaching & Learning with Microcomputer-based Technologies; 523-Foundations of Distributed Learning). Motion passed.
17. Old Business:
J. Johnson congratulated J. Hargus and D. Abbott for all their hard work on this committee and to C. McAllister for serving as chair.
19. Next meeting: Fall 2003.
Charlotte E. Maxwell