Called to Order: 2:30pm
Members: J. Hamilton, Chair; S. Garick, Elected Chair; B. Owen, J. Hamilton, P. Racheotes, B.Laird, S. Bhuiyan
Ex-Officio: C. Moore, P. Black, R. Roach, R. Stripling, A. Godfrey
Absent: R. Stripling, R. Roach
Guests: G. Mueller, D. Green, L. Walker, G. Agrawal
1. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to approve minutes of April 14, 2004 with the following change to #26 to read: S. Garick moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to approve addition of new minor in Social Studies. Motion passed.
2. P. Racheotes moved to add D. Green, G. Agrawal, and L. Walker to the agenda. Second by S. Bhuiyan. Motion passed.
3. Statement of resignation as chair of this committee was read and submitted by J. Hamilton.
4. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to nominate S. Garick as new chair of Curriculum Committee. Motion passed.
5. As per Pat Black, if more than 50 percent of a class is web-based, it’s a web course. If less than 50 percent, the course is web-enhanced and must be approved by this committee.
6. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan contingent on the following changes: spell out IPDE (Institutional Plan for Distance Education); spell out NETnet; on Attachment V, delete “-0-” on Support (ITV facilitators) line. Motion passed.
7 & 8. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to approve ED 434-Classroom Management & Teaching Strategies (Evans) and ED 435- Curriculum (Evans) with changes to justification on Course Inventory Add/Reinstate form to read: This class is required for certification. Motion passed.
9. S. Bhuiyan moved, second by G. Parangimalil approval of course inventory list presented by G. Mueller. Motion passed.
10-12. S. Bhuiyan moved, second by P. Racheotes to approve course inventory change/course syllabus change for COUN 516-Pre-Practicum; COUN 525-Practicum; and COUN 526-Internship (Hughes/Racheotes). Motion passed.
13. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to approve ED 590-Curriculum Alignment for School Improvement (Early/Hamilton). Motion passed.
14-15. G. Parangimalil moved, second by P. Racheotes to approve HSCI 346-Complimentary & Alternative Health Care and HSCI 546-Complimentary & Alternative Health Care (Flournoy) with the following changes: change course to web-based; change justification to read: “Due to nursing students working various shifts, this class will accommodate working nurses schedule.” Motion passed.
16-17. G. Parangimalil moved, second by B. Owens to approve ITED 530-Research on Teaching and Learning with Technology and ITED 540-Managing Instructional Technology Resources (Aworuwa). Motion passed.
18. S. Bhuiyan moved, second by P. Racheotes to approve NURS 303- Leadership & Management in Nursing (Flournoy) with the following changes: change course to web-based; change justification to read: “Due to nursing students working various shifts, this class will accommodate their duty schedule.” Motion passed.
19. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to approve HIST 451-Modern Latin America (Wagy) with the following change: to modify course description. Motion passed.
20. G. Parangimalil moved, second by B. Owen to approve HIST 455-The History of Mexico (Wagy). Motion passed.
21. P. Racheotes moved, second by B. Owen to table HIST 497/468-Church, State & Society in Russia (Wagy) until the following changes are made: change grading scale to A, B, C, D, F; course description too long; delete “Week 16: Final Exam” as our semesters are 15 weeks long . Motion passed.
22. P. Racheotes moved, second by G. Parangimalil to table PSCI 497-Parties & Elections (Bugh/Wagy) until these changes are made: delete part of course description, too long; delete prerequisites; change justification and clarify contents of the reading packet . Motion passed.
23. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to approve SOC 333-Marriage & the Family (Parangimalil) contingent on the addition of a bibliography. Motion passed.
24. No old business.
25A. S. Bhuiyan moved, B. Owens seconded to approve ISS-305 Data Structures and ISS-410 Operating Systems contingent on the following changes: delete one mid-term from either Session #6 or Session #10; add grading criteria to each syllabus; add bibliography; add information to students regarding the differences between ISS 305, ISS 410 and the Business courses; change course titles; and delete MIS Operating Systems courses. Motion passed.
25B. S. Bhuiyan moved, seconded by B. Owen to approve ISS 430-Computer Networks. Motion passed.
25C. P. Racheotes moved, second by S. Bhuiyan to accept contingent upon receiving the proper form to make IS 420-Community Leadership a permanent number and add it to course inventory and add a bibliography to course syllabus. Motion passed.
25D. Welcome to William Laird as new member of committee.
26. P. Racheotes moved, second by W. Laird to adjourn. Motion passed.
27. Next Meeting: Tentatively scheduled for June 9, 2004, 2:30pm, Room 227N.
Charlotte E. Maxwell