November 6, 2000
Called to Order: 2:40 p.m.
Adjourned: 3:35 p.m.
Members: J. Harbin, Chair; D. Roach, ex officio; A. Simonson; J. Hastings; J. Martin; J. Johnson, ex officio; R. Stripling Excused: Pat Black, ex officio; Carol Moore, ex officio
1. Minutes of the October 2, 2000 meeting reviewed and approved.
2. Clarification on Curriculum Review Process: Following a discussion of the curriculum review process, it was decided that “the first step of approval for new curriculum or programs (or significant changes in) would be the appropriate faculty in one of the following four areas: Arts & Sciences, Education, Business, or Behavioral Sciences.” This approval should be obtained in a meeting of the appropriate faculty and not individually by e-mail or memo. The second step would be the appropriate Dean’s approval. The third step would be the Curriculum Committee. The fourth step would be the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The last internal step would be the President’s Office.
3. Clarification of the Review Process for EDAD – Following a discussion of the curriculum review process for the EDAD of the Sid Richardson Principal Leadership Academy, it was decided “the Curriculum Committee wishes the minutes to reflect that because it did not have an opportunity for a substantive review it did not approve the EDAD.” This was an exception to the normal process as stated in Item 2 of these minutes.
4. IS 595 or IS 593 in EDAD Program – As a result of action taken on #3 there was no need for discussing IS 593.
5. New Math Class: MATH 597: Problem Solving – sent back to faculty of note to secure appropriate approval.
6. New Biology Class: BSC 481: Seminar In Biology – was sent back to faculty of note to secure appropriate approval.
7. New Biology Class: BSC 464: Independent Research – was sent back to faculty of note to secure appropriate approval.
8. New Biology Class: BSC 472: Introduction To Forensic Science – was sent back to faculty of note to secure appropriate approval.
9. New Biology Class: BSC 315: Functional Neuroanatomy – was sent back to faculty of note to secure appropriate approval.
10. New Accounting Class: ACCT 320: Accounting & Financial Concepts – motion to approve made by Jim Harbin, seconded by Jane Hastings. Motion passed.
11. New Marketing Class: MKT 526: Marketing for Managers – motion to approve made by Jim Harbin, seconded by Art Simonson. Motion passed.
12. New English Class (Charles Mazer) – sent back to faculty of note to secure appropriate approval.
13. Web Page for Curriculum Committee – The need was noted and agreed by all parties present. The chairperson of the Curriculum Committee will be responsible for maintaining it. Jim Harbin to work with Frank Miller in Tech/DE on implementing.
14. No old business to discuss.
15. No new business to discuss
Next meeting will be November 27 at 2:30 p.m.