Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Faculty Advising FAQ

What are pre-requisites? Co-requisites?

Pre-requisites are courses that must be completed before students can take another course that requires it.  For example, students must complete ENGL 1301 with a minimum grade of C before registering for ENGL 1302.

Co-requisites are courses that must be taken at the same time as another course.  Co-requisites will often have pre-requisites as well.  For example, a student who wishes to take BIOL 1307 must first complete BIOL 1306 with a minimum of a D.  The student must also register for BIOL 1107 at the same time as BIOL 1307.

If you wish to waive a pre-requisite or co-requisite requirement of your course for a specific student during registration, contact the Registrar with the student’s name and your course name and section.

How do I do my advisee is ready to graduate?

When in DegreeWorks, check that the student has completed all required courses; met their upper division, residency, and total plan hour requirements; and have at least a 2.0 overall, institutional, and major GPA.

You can review this checklist for a detailed plan of what to look for. Please contact the Registrar or Academic Advising if you need assistance.

What are classifications?

Students are classified as freshmen (0-29 credits), sophomore (30-59 credits), junior (60-89 credits), and senior (90+).  When helping students to register, note that there may be upper-division courses limited to certain classifications.  In progress courses are not included when determining classification.  If you wish to waive a classification requirement for your course for a specific student during registration, contact the Registrar with the student’s name and your course name and section.

What is dual credit?

Incoming students often have dual credit. This means that while in high school, the student enrolled in a college-level course and received credit from both their high school and college for that course. 

Who are FTICs?

FTIC stands for First-Time in College.  The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) defines a FTIC student as:

An undergraduate student entering college for the first-time after graduation from high school or who has never attended any college. Includes students enrolled in the fall term who attended college for the first time in the prior summer term of any college. Also includes students who entered with advanced standing (college credits earned before graduation from high school). Students who have not completed their high school work are not included. (CBM001; Univ, CTC CBM0E1)

What is TSI?

As of Fall 2003 (Texas Education Code §51.3062), students attending Texas public institutions of higher education must comply with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI)  in order to enroll in public institutions of higher education.  The law requires all entering college students to be assessed for college readiness in reading, mathematics, and writing unless the student qualifies for an exemption.  Each student who fails to meet the minimum passing standard of the exam offered by the institution must be placed in a developmental education program designed to help the student achieve college readiness.

How can I leave notes in DegreeWorks?

At the end of each advising session advisors are encouraged to make notes in DegreeWorks.  This practice ensures that the student is receiving notes from your session as well as providing adequate communication between appropriate departments across campus.  Please remember that notes are visible to the student and other staff members who have access to DegreeWorks.

What are the holds a student can have and how do I locate this information?

Students can have a variety of holds placed on their account from different departments.  Faculty advisors will work exclusively with the AA – Academic Advising hold.  Students can also have other holds, such as:

  • DV – Developmental Education
  • TS – TSI Hold
  • T – Transcript

Faculty advisors can see these holds in Banner using the screen WOAHOLD.  Clearing a hold requires the application of an end date, while delaying a hold requires you to extend the origination date. Students can view their holds in Web for Students.  Web for Students will define the hold and identify the originator.  In order for a hold outside of advising to be resolved, the student will need to visit the issuing department.

What is a suggested timeline of when to see my advisees?

How often faculty see advisees is up to your college and the student’s classification. For example, all STEM students are required to see their faculty advisor each semester.  COB sophomores and juniors will see their faculty advisors as at least once each year.  CELA students will meet with their academic advisor their freshman year and see their faculty or academic advisor as needed until they graduate.  All freshmen from each college will see an academic advisor.

Typically more students will approach you for advising before the semester starts, during registration, midterms, and the end of the semester. Please note that every student has been assigned a faculty advisor, so your advisees know who you are and can seek your advice at any time.

If you have access to Banner, you can modify the existing advising hold so your advisees are required to see you more or less often.

What is Supplemental Instruction?

Supplemental Instruction (SI)  is an academic assistance program utilizing collaborative learning sessions led by tutors. These sessions are scheduled on a regular basis and begin within the first two weeks of the semester.  During these sessions, students learn by comparing notes, discussing course content, and reviewing for exams.  The sessions are facilitated by tutors that are certified through the National Tutoring Association.  The tutors attend all class lectures linked with their respective SI sessions.

How can I get more involved with advising? What is the University Academic Advising Committee?

Faculty can become more involved with advising by attending faculty workshops hosted by the Success Center, getting access to Banner, and being nominated to serve on the University Academic Advising Committee (UAAC).  The UAAC meets once a month to improve advising communication between faculty and staff across campus.  The goal for members is to work on individual issues or concerns related to advising and to streamline and improve the student experience.  UAAC is formed by two faculty members from each college appointed by the Deans and one representative from offices across campus.  Faculty positions on the committee rotate yearly each Spring.

  • 7101 University Ave
  • Texarkana, TX 75503
  • p: 903.223.3000
  • f: 903.223.3104
.Back to Top